If you haven't completely switched into pumpkin mode quite yet, and you still have Zucchinis coming out of your ears, then indulge yourself with these Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins!
I brought these muffins to my cabin retreat getaway this past week and they were the perfect little treat for the drive, or after dinner, or anytime haha. Your friends and family will love them.
Disclaimer: Don't treat these as a Health Food. I am clearly stating that they are a treat with a healthy twist, so don't go overboard eating the whole batch because your "trainer britt suggested them" (yes, they're that good, you have been warned!) haha just sayin ;)
I've adapted this recipe from the original recipe on joyfulhealthyeats.com - awesome foodie blog!
• 1.5 C whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1/4 C raw honey
• 1/4 C Organic Brown Sugar
• 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
• 1/3 C coconut oil, melted
• 1 Egg
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1.5 C grated zucchini
• 3/4 C dark chocolate chips
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
• Prepare 8x8 loaf pan, or 3 smaller loaf pans, or 12-16 muffin tins, by greasing the bottom and sides with coconut oil spray, lightly dust with flour and shake (or use muffin paper cups to line)
• In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Stir all these dry ingredients together.
• In a large bowl, add honey, applesauce, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk all together until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until everything is combined.
• Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chip.
• Pour batter into the prepared dishes. Fill about 3/4 full, or to the rim of the muffin tins.
• Bake 8x8 loaf for 45-50 minutes, the mini loafs for about 35-40 minutes, and the muffins for about 20-25 minutes. Always check with a toothpick to make sure when they are done. If it comes out clean you're good to go!
These make a great gift for a special someone to make sure they know you're thinking of them!